A survey is now available for you to review different concepts for the Vilas Park Master Plan. The survey will ask for your preferences for the location of the shelter, the future of Vilas Park Drive, the layout of parking, playgrounds, lagoon management, and park amenities. You can also share what concepts you think are missing. If you’d like some tools to help you critically think about the master plan as it relates to the environment and user experience, we’ve got you covered! We have a list of questions below to guide you through the concepts and you can also view Friends of Lake Wingra’s comments.
- What views would you like most if using the shelter?
- How would the location of the shelter affect the neighborhood?
- How does the location of the shelter affect your experience currently?
Vilas Park Drive
- How safe do you or your loved ones feel walking or cycling to different attractions throughout the park?
- What do you think the purpose of Vilas Park Drive is versus what is actually used for?
- How do you like to use the park and lagoon in the winter?
- Do you understand the tradeoffs associated with wetlands and forebays? If you’d like more information, how could you ask for that in this survey?
- What playgrounds do you utilize at the park?
- How does the number and spacing of playgrounds influence your park experience currently?
Southern Parking Lot Layout
- What do you like and dislike about the south parking lot currently?
- How do the different concepts impact: (1) your enjoyment at the park, (2) pedestrian safety, and (3) ambiance of different areas of the park?
- What parking tradeoffs come to mind when you think about closing Vilas Park Drive (e.g., concentrated vs. dispersed parking)? What are you willing to except for the gained benefits of each concept?
North Parking Lot Layout
- What do you like and dislike about the north parking lot currently?
- How do you think the different concepts impact traffic flow for the neighborhood and the safety of pedestrians?
- How do you feel when you use the park currently? What amenities (or lack thereof) are responsible for how you currently feel?
Other things to consider
- How will lighting impact the park, its users, and the aquatic and terrestrial biota?
- What do you think the future of transportation and parking will look like 10 and 20 years from now? How does this align with what you see in the concepts?
- Are there other forward thinking concerns or ideas that you have related to Vilas Park?